Topics to be covered today …
- Search Engine Optimization vs. Search Engine Marketing
- Two categories of SEO
- Why is SEO important
OK .. here we go.
What is Search Engine Optimization?
Search Engine Optimization is actually a subset of a larger marketing effort called Search Engine Marketing. To give you a better idea as to how this all works, let’s start there.
Search Engine Marketing includes all marketing efforts that are tied to, you guessed it, search engines with the goal of increasing search engine rankings. Increased search engine rankings lead to increased search engine exposure and since 86% of all traffic online comes from search engines in one form or another*, this is where we want to be.
Search Engine Marketing can include:
- SEO (search engine optimization)
- PPC (pay pe click advertising)
- online display advertising
- article marketing
We could easily write a post or three on each of these topics but we want you to get back to work at some point in time so we will save these other topics for another day.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the act of improving your website to gain higher visibility in the search engines. SEO can be broken up into two main categories:
On-Page and Off-Page optimization.
On-Page optimization includes all of the changes that you can actually make to the pages on your site to make it more meaningful for search engines:
- page title tags
- meta descriptions
- keyword rich content
- alt and title tags on images
- internal page linking
Off-Page optimization includes all of the tasks and improvements that happen on other sites.
- inbound links (links from other sites back to yours) – local business listings
- reviews on review sites like Yelp, etc.
- directory listings
Both On-Page and Off-Page optimizations are needed if you want to boost your website’s organic search rankings. As we dive deeper into this email series we will be talking about some of these topics in
much more detail.
The daily take
- SEO is only a part of a larger online marketing campaign called Search Engine Marketing
- SEO can be broken up into two main categories – On-Page and Off-Page optimizations
- SEO is important because it helps you gain ORGANIC (non-paid) rankings in the search engines. Without this you have to pay for it.
Coming Up … Market Research: Who is your target market really?
Source: Website Usage, Brand Effectiveness and Consumer Perception Statistics, February 20, 2010